Dehradun: Getaway to my hometown (cont.)

Day2:
It was the day to leave for Mussoorie with a friend, I left from Dehradun gleefully to visit this tourist fascinated hill station. During my childhood I never happened to visit Mussoorie too often but as I grew up I used to make frequent visits with friends in order to get away from Dehradun’s summers. The entertaining rides would always be going on bikes more willingly than on cars which would formulate the entire trip more enticing.
So as I left from Dehradun I asked my friend to detour the way from Jhadipani as the way is more calm and has got plentiful interesting views and apparently the friend quite liked the detoured way as it was undeniably more amiable and we got empty roads (no vehicle), foggy air, beautiful villages and villagers. Henceforth we arrived at the Mall road but instead of killing our priceless time we elected to move towards the uphill in search of the George Everest, but neither me nor my friend knew the directions but we were adamant to find it out, as we moved in hunt, we bumped into this gate on which a notice was hung “Andar Jana Mana Hai”. 

The gate beyond which nothing was visible because of the annoying fog, seemed quite fearful to me 

The notice absolutely made us suspicious and eager as we saw some people walking through the gate regardless of the warning. I took a back (as I didn’t want to do any unprincipled task) only to see my friend laughing at my near to the ground courage and intend as the daring friend wanted to go in and examine the area. I won and got my friend out of it. While having stopped just 200 metres back at a shop we enquired about the way to the George Everest and got the directions fed in our minds, fervent me asked the guy as what’s inside the gate. The guy told us of the edifice which is an old piece of structure constructed by the Britishers during their rule in India and is now dented and shattered, its not suggested to go inside as people had claimed to witness spirits in and around the building, cant put across how stunned I was but this time my friend won and we found ourselves at the other side of the gate. The mist was very powerful that I could only see my friend who appeared as a ghost to me, then and no living being around, after about 5 minutes we spotted a house (amidst of haze) which was in good shape and we saw a man with two kids having donned school uniform, the man overtook us on his bike, parked his vehicle, then we asked him the way to the Britisher’s piece of art he said its at a “2 minutes” distance. Then came an added guy who in full swing started ticking us off as why did we trespass the gate when it’s advised not to go through it, he didn’t let us go to see the building. And then suddenly the crazy guy started walking towards the direction where the building was and he disappeared in the fog. We looked at each other and ran like scalded dogs laughing at each other fearlessly thinking the guy to be the spirit of the building.  We could have easily spotted the building as the distance at which we were standing was not too far but the haze didn’t let us see anything.

The place where we stood to look for the monument which was just 2 minutes far, disturbing fog!

We left in search of the George Everest finally but couldn’t find an appropriate way and when we found it, it was a tad bit late as we got caught up in the rain for an hour and just when we were deciding to walk off from the George Everest we bumped into this beautiful petite meadow where we saw a herd of cattle grazing the emerald green land and at a corner there was a quaint hut, the sight was not less than a dream. We were absolutely amazed to see the mesmeric view in that stillness. It was hard to believe the beauty of the place so I closed my eyes once to sense the tranquillity, opened only to perceive the exquisiteness of the place and that’s it.

The overwhelming view we happened to cross on the way to the George Everest in Mussoorie

 We didn’t leave for Dehradun before stopping at Kalsang and having a hot bowl of Chicken Lemon Thupka. 

The flavorsome Chicken-Lemon-Thupka at Kalsang, The Mall Road, Mussoorie.  

As I was tired to the hilt of the full day adventure I hit to the bed as soon as hoping on the dinner and did a quick rewind on my mind ensuring to visit George Everest on my next visit to Mussoorie and if possible also the haunted place which is called Radha Bhawan as told by a girl who owns a tea shop where we stopped to get away from the impulsive rain, just in search of the George Everest.



Day3:

It was my very last and only day which I decided to spend by visiting the place where my house is (which is now rented), where I have lived for 15 years before moving to Delhi.  I spend the whole day meeting with friends and uncles and aunts etc. and catching up with them and having much needed long conversations. And hence I called off the day with mixed feelings, tomorrow I leave back for Delhi.  

Comments

  1. Hi thr, Very nice blog with pics. Me and my sister are also planning to visit Mussorie on our activa from Doon. Was wondering if the ghat roads are safe to ride thr and if you rode two wheeler up thr? Did you guys used to switch off the engine on downhill thr? Need some tips, Regards, Kusum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kusum,
    Thank you for the kind words. I did go on a two-wheeler but i would say that Activas, at a point of time would stop speeding up. The average speed would be 20-40 km/hr so you have to see if you're passable with that. And of course while coming back to Doon we did switch off our engines.
    I would say to give it a try anyway as i started off my Mussoorie trips during my school days on Activa itself.

    Regards
    Manika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manika,

      Thank you so much for liking my comment as you mentioned about me in your latest blog. Lol. I will be frequently visiting Mussorie coz of Work and have activa to commute. I thought if I switch off the engine and ride on slopes, that would certainly save fuel.
      The only thing is once you take a break on road, do you usually push it down with feet or switch on engine and then again switch off?
      I guess in Mussorie town as well I can normally ride it like that as well or do you reckon you only used to do it on main highway back to Doon?
      Thanks once again, Regards, Kusum

      Delete
  3. Hi Kusum, If the slope is steep then definitely a push with your feet is enough, i would recommend this only while coming back to Doon not in Mussoorie.

    Thanks and Regards
    Manika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure, thanks for the suggestion. Im lucky that my activa has a back tyre with a cover which will be handy considering hill roads, and also I can monitor horn from my activa even if the engine is shut but ignition key is on. Will be useful while overtaking on slopes. Right?? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trek to Triund!

Epitomizing 3 chapters of my life in a poetry

Let's make 2013 more productive..