Mumbai: City of Wise and Wealth

On 19th March I left for Bombay after a gap of 6 long years this time on a work trip as earlier it was a family vacation. Even though my work is not at all travel related and have only got to travel once last year in December to Ahmedabad for 3 days where I didn't get a solitary moment to step out of the whole work affair. Now this was the second trip so this time I was looking forward to go out or do something. It’s not a day-to-day in depth verse but moments, places and people I met in essence. I have always had a stereotype image about Bombay and thought it to be a bitter pill to swallow, always stayed at loggerheads with colleagues and friends about the clumsiness of the city but after having some wild quality moments of joviality and no ordeals I can profusely say that it's not bad to be there no matter if you have or don't have a company along. I spent my Bombay days preponderantly all alone. I can’t come over with the long on foot stretch of Marine Drive from the Nariman Point till Chaupati by a long chalk after having a startling experience. So after my office I went back to my apartment just to pick my camera and without squandering any time, left for some enjoyment unaccompanied. My cab dropped me at the finish point of the Marine Drive, looking at the elongated lane I couldn't believe it's an extensively long walkway all I could do was marvel over "The Queen’s Necklace”, as they call it.

 The locals sitting by the sea face enjoying the tides and the wind blowing.


I could see families (all kinds), couples (all kinds), joggers (all kinds) and hawkers, some sitting by the raspy sea taking in the delight of the bombastic weather and sea tides toppling over the massive rocks. Well I too sat down by the sea side to witness the surreal sound of water gushing and cool breeze waving alongside. The weather was cheerful that time so I started with my stroll again looking at the public enjoying. Also I saw a stranger who was jogging a bit then stopping by to do some crunches exercise and again running, of course he continued it for a long time. I kept walking but indisputably I was pretty bewildered like others who did notice his grace and brawny strength. Couples were performing their customary labour of love thing, oldies walking in full swing as if the adolescence has just hit in. It was a divine walk and I realized I have covered 2/3 rd of the Marine Stretch. I got all weary so started looking for a cab but couldn’t find one.I took the help of a passerby to locate Chaupati, she explained it was not much. Clearly, she recognized me as a newbie in the city and recommended me not to go to that side of the beach at that hour but suggested me to try some milkshakes at Bachelors and to have some local delight of Bombay at the Chaupati’s. We started understanding each others point of view on the two cities from where we belong to. She was a lawyer and was willing to know if Delhi is safe enough to loaf around like that with a smile on her face, I knew what she meant. In the entire conversation I failed to notice that I have reached my destination and have ultimately covered the 3rd part of the Marine Drive all by on foot. I felt so proud. In the last when it was time to say good bye to the stranger she told me that she herself is a client of the company I work for and had picked something from us two years back. I was stunned to hear that as we have to behave utmost formally with all our clients and she gave me a stagger after her last line. I gathered myself, said a formal good bye and invited her to visit Delhi sometimes. But it was fun to walk with her partaking and chatting about Bombay-Delhi delights. 

The Marine Drive

I then went to Bachelor's as recommended by her to have a milkshake I chose "Tongue Twister" then I moved forward towards Chaupati to have the bona fide Pao Bhaji. The sitting area was on floor mats I went ahead to sit amidst the families on the sharing basis to have my plate of Bombay's famous Pao Bhaji (The stall’s name was “famous”), reached back to my apartment and called it a day. All thanks to the stranger for making my evening so blissful. 

A day well spent right from local train to loafing around Bombay roads. We all have heard about local train of Bombay if not heard probably we all have seen the state in the movies. So it was a Sunday morning and I was to go to Pawai to my cousin's place, instead of taking a cab I thought to have hands on experience of the Bombay local from CST. Given that it was a Sunday there was not much crowd like really NOT MUCH.I managed to get on the train like piece of a cake and got to meet a stranger aunty who was sitting all alone in the ladies compartment I asked if the train goes to Kanjurmarg Station to which she replied “This train goes to Dombivli (the last station)”. I again asked her with glut patience if that train stops at Kanjurmarg then she said “ofcourse it does, sit here”.


CST or VT station, from where I started off my Local Train experience. 

Okay, Thanks for that as the train started leaving its platform as soon as I got into it. I sat down silently and wholeheartedly asked how far is my destination to which she again took a toll on me and made me count all the stations on my finger tips only to tell my station was 15th. Lord! It started speeding up with more and more ladies at each station it stopped. It was a typical train with ladies compartment which of course I saw for the very first time therefore was a good fun to be present there and acknowledge local ladies with their kids speaking in Marathi lingo. The obliging aunty got down at Ghatkopar and before she stepped down she cautioned me to step down after next station. Thanks to the caring aunty, I bid her good bye smiling at my new companions in the trains. I came to a pretty pass as I realized my train didn’t stop at Kanjurmarg. What? I said. Then, I came to know that sometimes the train doesn't stop at few stations. I found myself to be on the horns of a dilemma. I had no option but to get down at the next station, Bhandup and called my brother-in-law to the next station. I walked past the station as early as I could as I was on the wrong station. 
 After a pleasant home made lunch we moved towards Juhu to witness breath-taking sunset at the beach side. Thanks to the very famous place I missed the beautiful sunset as we couldn't move beyond the mob that was gathered on the road outside Big B's house. I was seeing it for the second time but I could see the several enthusiasts waiting to see him, wave him and have it back. Well, I missed the sunset and went driving all around the place to Bandra, Band Stand and saw the same mob standing in front of Mannat(SRK's house) and Salman Khan's apartment. That was a sight certainly. But this newly discovered place, Bandstand was tremendously peaceable and picturesque with the very old stylish constructed buildings and the fantasy-like streets with palm trees all around and much untouched beach. 


The missed out sunset at JUHU Beach

We even explored Gallops at Mahalaksmi Race Course for snacks and drinks and ended up having dinner at Chaupati yet again. My day ended thinking about the missed out sunset, the incredibly attractive Bandstand area and experience of a lifetime, journey by the Bombay local.   

Gallops, at Mahalakshmi Race Course

It was a Monday morning, a day before I leave back for Delhi, I decided to make up for the missed out sunset so I decided to go to Colaba to incarcerate the sunrise in my camera. That area where I wanted to go in Colaba was listed under Defence area and was constrained for civilians to walk through the gates but I managed to with the help of a senior from school who happens to be in the Indian Navy. So yes I was up early morning, took cab and reached Colaba and after waiting for like an hour the sun started popping out by throwing its mesmerizing orange hues into the blue-white sky it came out of the horizon in the core of the endless sea with ferries and ships affixed.

The sun coming out in four steps at Colaba. 

I met some exceptionally amicable people wherever I went right from my office people who suggested me to go to some really nice places, people I met at those places I had visited, all the cabbies esp. the one who started arguing because I didn’t know my address and on realizing I am not a native of the city, said sorry to me as a minimum of 5 times. Also, the one who dropped me to Nariman Point and acted like a guide on the road at the same time by making me familiar with the places I must have just heard or seen in the movies.Right. 
Thus, March month ends but not before having a 4 day trip to Shimla with all the cousins after Bombay!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trek to Triund!

Epitomizing 3 chapters of my life in a poetry

Let's make 2013 more productive..