When I moved further towards Kalasan... Part 1

Sunday (27th January)

On the Sunday evening I left from Shimla for Kalasan at around 1730 hours. Kalasan is a village which is approx 95 Kms away from Shimla and it takes nearly 3 hours to reach by car.

Kalasan’s a small village with a population of around 450. It lies in the district Mandi with an
elevation of 1600 ft above sea level, hence it’s graded under apple cultivation index and other seasonal cropping concurrently. I came here to visit my maternal uncle and his family (aunt and two children) after two years. The first time I visited them i.e. approx 10 years ago, was such an experience that I was overwhelmed with the surroundings and got carried away with the ethereal beauty of this rare location. Since that time I have been making short visitations to this place. It will be an inequitable and burdensome sketch of the place to describe Kalasan in my words as one needs to confront with its own eyes. This place is one of the best destinations from my favorites.

I reached Kalasan around 2000 hours as during winters sun rises late and sets early so it was stark dark and deeply silent, I observed, so I was kind of prepared to have an early supper as it seemed eleventh hour. In Kalasan, nights are usually cold whether its summers or winters due to the altitude.




                             The evenings are spent sitting around the bonfire chit-chatting over dinner and taking pleasure. My only protector against cold during the nights in Kalasan.


It was my first visit during winters as I had been coming during the summer time in many instances reason being pleasant weather and apple flowering. It was so obvious that January's weather would be a different experience in all, be it landscapes or amount of cold in contrary to summers so I was prepared for it and for the layers of garbs I estimated to wear one over another. The rest of the evening was spent
meeting cousins having dinner and finally moving to bed. My aunt asked me to take along hot water bottle for warmness with me but I refused thinking it to be normal to sleep without one. As soon as I got into the bed it felt as a big block of ice on which I am lying so I ended up sleeping smuggling  hot water bottle.
It was so much better and cozy then.



Monday (28th January)
I woke up with the sunrise, got ready, backpacked my camera, today I decided to tag along with my uncle to his workplace which was an hour away. I was told that the snow which fell about 10 days before hadn't melted and is in the same state, semi solid. After having breakfast I made a move with him towards "Seri Bungalow".  On our way we happened to cross this place called Chindi. Certainly why I am mentioning about it is because it was totally alluring and the amount of snow was also in aplenty adorning it more splendidly. I got all over excited to see the snow blockaded the small quaint huts covered on the top with a thick layer of white blanket over them. It was absolutely an amazing place to check in. We drove past Chindi, moving further. 



 My uncle was posted in Seri before about 18 years ago and I had visited him with my family so it was nostalgic to come to this place again after 18 long years. The one (left) with blue window fixtures is the same house where i stayed 18 years ago.




   But what's with the name "Seri Bungalow”? I thought.  I was a kid when I first
paid my visit so didn't trouble myself with such queries but now I profoundly wanted to know the history behind the name. So while I was on my way, I asked my uncle.

 It goes like this: Once there lived a king in Mandi who had a humongous orchid of apples and a serene bungalow in Seri. The outlandish bungalow was so classy that when he died locals started calling the place Seri Bungalow as the place was famous for off the beaten bungalow enclosed by the dense apple orchid. Unfortunately it doesn't exist anymore so I didn't get a chance to see it but the conviction in the story was such that it left me thinking for a moment about the surreal bungalow.
Finally we reached and as uncle had to go to work he asked me to stay and wait in the room which was accommodated to him by the bank. So I went up there and started to wonder how to kill time so as I was getting burned out I came across this book "A field guide to insects" which was resting on the table in his
room. I found it synonymous like how Farhan Quereshi (R Madhavan) had published in 3 Idiots in the later part of the flick. So I went through the book, brooded over and found it an amazing guide. I checked out some really great shots of marco shoots of insects too which I totally love. After finishing that I continued with my Aamir Khan book about which I had written here. After killing like 2 hours I then left for snow-seeing with uncle by moving even further into higher altitude above Seri.




.



Car often glides over the snowy road that’s why it's recommended to
avoid traveling during and after snowfall.


It was full of snow on the sides of the road appropriate spacing given to drive and I could spot more of snow clad mountains but these were far and more captivating than those I saw on my way to Shimla. Uncle told me it’s Shrikhand Mahadev, which is situated at a height of 18,700 ft. above sea level in the Great Himalayan National Park. It’s a must but difficult trek of 5-7 Days and my uncle who is more adventurous than I am has already done the trek long time ago, with that one more trek location added to my bucket list.


                                White snow clad Shrikhand Mahadev Kailash from afar. 


My uncle is a keen photographer too and had bought a new DSLR so that's how we killed the time, taking pictures of alluring views, hence I got a photography buddy I would say that was an absolute one of a kind snow photo walk which I will cherish forever.



                                           Remains of snow, on a piece of wood.


As we reached home my uncle showed some of his cooking traits too and made barbecue chicken in a “desi” way. He has a tandoor too in the backyard area but we didn’t want to torture ourselves in the cold outside so we finalized on a decision to cook inside only with coal blocks and grill tray. It’s like every time I come to Kalasan he's got something new added on his recipe list, I thoroughly enjoy his cooking. This is how another day comes to an end with treating my eyes with stunning glimpse of landscapes and regaling my taste buds with that
awesome chicken barbecue. 




                                       Chicken Barbecue, cooked in a desi style. 





Rest in next blog. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trek to Triund!

Epitomizing 3 chapters of my life in a poetry

Let's make 2013 more productive..